Composite vs Porcelain Veneers…what is the difference?
Patients are often confused as to the difference between Composite vs Porcelain veneers. Veneers are thin shells that are custom fit directly over the patient’s natural teeth with the purpose to fill in gaps or cover broken, chipped, stained, small or crooked teeth. The end results produce a perfect white, straight smile.
So what is the difference between Composite and Porcelain veneers and how do you choose?
Read our comparison below!
Composite veneers offer patients the most cost effective solution to improve their smile. The procedure itself is minimally invasive and in the majority of cases, can be treated in one appointment.
- Composite veneers require minimal tooth surface preparation and can be replaced or repaired without effecting the patients natural teeth
- Composite veneers can be matched to the patients natural shade
- Made of engineered resin, composite veneers are not as strong as their porcelain counterparts but (with good maintenance) should last between 5-8 years before needing a repair or replacement
Porcelain veneers are extremely realistic due to the porcelain being translucent and light reflective making the veneer appearance similar to tooth enamel.
Porcelain veneers are highly stain and chip resistant. With good maintenance should last 15 plus years.
- An impression (mold) of the patient’s tooth/teeth will be made and sent to a lab to be made into the veneer. Treatment for a porcelain veneer will usually be over 2 appointments.
- A thin layer of the tooth enamel is removed to prepare the tooth surface for the veneer which does not give the patient the option to remove the veneer completely without replacing it with another veneer or crown.
- Porcelain veneers cannot be repaired and must be replaced.
- Due to the nature of porcelain, the results are realistic with a natural looking smile.
Veneers can range from $400 – $2000 per tooth dependent on the type of veneer selected. Good oral hygiene (brushing and flossing twice a day) as well as six monthly visits to the dentist will help keep your veneers in top condition.
To get a consultation with a dentist about Veneers, please call Greenvale Dental Group on 9333 6854 to book.
Dr Soraya is the principal dentist and owner of Greenvale Dental Group with over 25 years’ experience in the field of dentistry.
Soraya’s areas of treatment include general dentistry, dental emergencies, dental implants, endodontics, cosmetic dentistry, and crown and bridge dentures.